Making geek dreams come true | explodedsoda
explodedsoda is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and ShareASale Affiliate Program, affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to explodedsoda.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Making geek dreams come true

I have recently fallen deeply, madly in love...

...with Shapeways.com

Shapeways is a 3D printing marketplace and community where one can upload a 3D model (in a STL, Collada or X3D file) and have it printed out in a variety of different materials. There are other sites like this, but Shapeways seems to be the only one offering sterling silver as a possible material option.

I had known about the site for a while, but I didn't make the connection until last night that this idea for a ring that I've had bouncing around in my head for months could be made a reality with this site!

Unfortunately, I don't know jack shit about 3D modeling. So, I'm currently looking at tutorials for Blender and SketchUp to see if maybe I can figure it out, seems pretty unlikely though. But I did manage to make a ring-like shape...kinda...

But, in between my tutorial videos and watching television, I'm browsing all the amazing items already available by talented artists on Shapeways. Mostly I've been looking at jewelry, but there are so many other items available!

Here are some of the many many items I've fallen in love with.
The Legend of Zelda - Winged Triforce Ring 
Created by ugoh




Created by edrice

Created by Ammnra


Created by henriquelana


Triforce Ring (pictured in silver glossy) 
Created by nakamura_shop

So many awesome things on this site! You can even have your character and creations from Minecraft printed!

Now, back to my lesson in 3D modeling... how the hell do I make a triangle in this program?

1 comment :

Unknown said...

These are very beautiful pieces. One can buy gold bullion and have them crafted into these designs. Great finds!

Post a Comment